B.C. scientists have found a Sea Sponge capable of stopping COVID

Believe or not, but compounds have been found that could stop coronavirus and flu viruses from infecting human cells.

An international research team has unearthed 26 such compounds found in nature and they claim this discovery paves the way for new 'natural' medicines and antivirals that can help treat these contagious viruses.

A team of researchers led by the University of British Columbia (UBC) has recently investigated over 350 compounds derived from natural sources such as plants, fungi, and sea sponges in order to find new antiviral drugs that can be used to treat Covid-19

They are currently effective in very small doses in the lab, where the compounds have completely stopped viral infections in human cells. 

The team from the University of British Columbia has investigated more than 350 compounds derived from natural sources including plants, fungi, and marine sponges.

All 3 of the most effective compounds were found in Canada: alotaketal C, from a sea sponge in Howe Sound, BC; bafilomycin D from a marine bacteria in Barkley Sound, BC; and holyrine A from marine bacteria collected in the waters off Newfoundland.

The team now want to test the compounds in animal models in the next six months.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.