The people have spoken. Results to the sixth annual Diners’ Choice Awards – which go to the best Chinese restaurants in Metro Vancouver – are in.
An incredible 19,612 votes were cast during the month-long voting period. Voters were tasked with choosing the best restaurants in 20 separate categories, ranging from Best Cantonese Restaurant to Best Food Court Stall and Best Dim Sum. Over the years, the awards have grown to become the definitive guide to Chinese food in the city, helping diners identify hidden gems and familiar favourites among the thousands of Chinese restaurants in Metro Vancouver.
As in past years, the city of Richmond has come out on top, boasting an overwhelming majority of the winners. In fact, many are located side by side along so-called Food Street in the heart of the city, where hundreds of Chinese restaurants are packed into the space of just a few blocks of Alexandra Road.
This year, several new award categories focused in on specific Chinese dishes, including Best Sichuan Boiled Beef, Best Honey Garlic Spareribs, Best Egg Tart, Best Taiwanese Bubble Tea and Best Wonton Noodles. The Diners’ Choice Awards are followed on April 23 by the Critics’ Choice Awards, where the pros weigh in on the best Chinese dishes in the city.
The complete list of the Diners’ Choice Awards winners appears below:
1. Best Wonton Noodles: Max Noodle House - #185-8291 Alexandra Road, Richmond (604) 231-8141
2. Best Sichuan Boiled Beef: S&W Pepper House - #1812-4500 Kingsway, Burnaby (604) 451-3916
3. Best Honey Garlic Spareribs: Bamboo Grove - 6920 No.3 Road, Richmond (604) 278-9585
4. Best Taiwanese Bubble Tea: Dragon Ball Tea House - 1007 W. King Edward Ave. Vancouver, B.C. (604) 738-3198
5. Best Egg Tart: Lido Restaurant - #150-4231 Hazelbridge Way, Richmond (604) 231-0055
6. Best Service Restaurant: Peninsula Seafood Restaurant - #140-650 W. 41st Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia (604) 428-9999
7. Best Fine Dining Restaurant: Peninsula Seafood Restaurant - #140-650 W. 41st Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia (604) 428-9999
8. Best Dim Sum Restaurant: Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant - #150-8888 River Road, Richmond (604) 232-0816
9. Best Cantonese Restaurant: The Jade Seafood Restaurant - 8511 Alexandra Road, Richmond (604) 249-0082
11. Best Shanghainese Restaurant: Long’s Noodle House - #4853 Main Street,, Vancouver (604) 879-7879
12. Best Sichuan Restaurant: Golden Szechuan Restaurant - #170-3631 No. 3 Rd, Richmond (604) 288-9058
13. Best Hunan Restaurant: Lucky Noodle Chinese Restaurant - #3-3377 Kingsway, Vancouver (604) 430-8818
14. Best Taiwanese Restaurant/BBT Café: Bubble World Tea House - Ten Locations
15. Best Hot Pot Restaurant: Landmark Hotpot House - 4023 Cambie St, Vancouver, British Columbia (604) 872-2868
16. Best Congee and Noodle Restaurant: Old Buddies Seafood Restaurant - #1120-8391 Alexandra Road, Richmond (604) 370-4833
17. Best Vegetarian Restaurant: Po Kong Vegetarian Restaurant - 1334 Kingsway, Vancouver (604) 876-3088
18. Best Hong Kong-Style Café: Deer Garden Signatures - #2015-8580 Alexandra Road Richmond (604) 278-9229; #1118-3779 Sexsmith Road, Richmond (604) 278-3779; 6270 Fraser St., Vancouver (604) 322-6116
19. Best Bakery Shop: La Patisserie - 8278 Granville St, Vancouver, British Columbia (604) 269-0002; #2-6360 No.3 Road, Richmond, British Columbia (604) 270-3092
20. Best Food Court Stall: Wah Yuen Noodle House, Yaohan Centre - #1035-3700 Hazelbridge Way, Richmond (604) 231-9080