Here are a few tips on how to hire a contractor or sub contractor for home renovations over $1000. Receiving quotes to have a job done can be time consuming, but very important. Plan ahead and try not to be rushed into having a job done because you waited until it had to be done. You don't want to have to go with the first or only company who gave you an estimate.
1. Always get 3 written quotes.
2. Be sure the quote states exactly what the company is willing to do, and how much this will cost you. Ask about the extras.
3. Ask for a written list of all materials that will be used on the job. The list should state the quantity, quality, sizes and brand names if any, of everything needed to complete the job.
4. Find out how long the quote is good for.
5. Ask how long the job will take. The starting and completion dates should be in writing with an allowance for bad weather and complications due to changes.
6. Ask who is responsible for cleaning up and whether it is included in the price.
7. You should probably ask to see a job the contractor has recently completed.
8. You may be tempted to go with the cheapest price, however that may or may not be the best deal. Check over the estimate to see who giving you the most for your hard earned dollar.
9. It is not uncommon or unreasonable on large jobs to keep a hold back of 30% of the total cost of the job for 30 to 45 days to make sure you are totally satisfied.
Remember - the taste of a cheap price doesn't last as long as a job done poorly. Good Luck!
Post Your Comment: