Here is a list of facts that a true Vancouverite is going to be aware of, but you might find one or two tidbits you didn't know or maybe have forgotten.
- Vancouver is named after Captain Vancouver.
- Vancouver is situated at an altitude of 71m/236ft.
- Vancouver is the third largest city in Canada, after Toronto and Montreal.
- Vancouver is North America's second largest Port; both in tonnage & physical size, and is also one of the world’s major cruise ship ports.
- Vancouver has the highest per capita proportion of Asians of any North American city.
- Vancouver is amongst the largest film production centers in North America. It is second to LA in Television production & third behind LA and NYC in Feature film production.
- Vancouver has been labeled as the ‘World’s Most Liveable City’ by a research group connected to the highly reputed British financial journal.
- According to Forbes magazine, Vancouver and Vienna have the third highest quality of living in the world.
- Vancouver was once ranked as Canada's second most expensive city to live, after Toronto, and the 89th most expensive globally.
- In 2006, Vancouver was ranked as the 56th most expensive city to live, amongst 143 major cities in the world.
- In 2004 and 2005, Vancouver was voted as the ‘Best City in America’ by the Conde Nast Traveler Magazine.
- In 2007, Vancouver was ranked as the 10th cleanest city in the world.
- A resident of Vancouver is called a Vancouverite.
- Vancouver is probably the only place in the world where it is possible to ski, play golf and go sailing, all in the same day.
- Vancouver is the birthplace of the one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, called Greenpeace.
- The 2010 Winter Olympics will be held in Vancouver and nearby Whistler.
Post Your Comment: