Is it time to modernize our Motor Vehicle Act?

Does B.C's Motor Vehicle Act need an update to better reflect modern day use of our roads?

The Motor Vehicle Act was written in 1957 and hasn't really changed fundamentally since then. It should be modernized and be recognized that it doesn't just regulate motor vehicles, but how we share public space and the rights and responsibilities have to be divided up between cyclists, pedestrians and vehicle users.

Back in 1957, motorists were the primary consideration. Since that time, car volume has increased by 1,400% and cycling volumes have increased by 300%.

The Road Safety Law Reform Group of BC is recommending 25 changes to the existing act, including changing the name to the Road Safety Act, adding rules for cyclist and pedestrian safety and adding fines for violations that theaten vulnerable road users.

Some of the recommendations include:

Amending the MVA to include the definition 'vulnerable road user', which means pedestrians and operators cycles, including motorcycles.

Set the default provincial speed limit to 30 km/h for local streets that do not have a centre line and specify that a vehicle must be at least 1 metre away when passing a cyclist.

What would you like to see included in a new Act?


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.